Tuesday 8 February 2011

What is Web 2.0

I really liked O'Reilly's 'What is web 2.0'. I guess I'm a bit of a geek - I enjoy learning about internet history, particularly the seedy underworld of 'web services' (advertising), and Spyware such as doubleclick. It's interesting that those incremental steps towards monitisation of the Internet may have heralded the first use of web2 tools.

O'Reilly stresses that without the data these appliations (Google Maps, Facebook, Google search) are useless. The applications themselves almost enjoy a symbiotic existance with the data, learning new ways to twist and interpret the data to drive new things. There's news about now that Microsoft Bing is stealing Google's search results - apparently Google has 'reused' lots of other bits of people code for it's applications but draws a line at borrowing the data.

It's interesting to hear that blogs were initially used to share links to other like minded folk. How often these days do you see a Links page on a website? Never? I rememeber whan I was a student setting out my website for the first time (I wonder if it's still out there?) the most important thing was to set up a Links page to set out who you were, to hope that you would help make a connection easier for someone else. I guess for people who were working at that time a chronological ordering would be a natural next step.

Bak to O'Reailly. He writes: "Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia based on the unlikely notion that an entry can be added by an web user, and edited by any other, is a radical experiment in trust". How often do you remember showing someone (or being shown) Wikipedia for the first time and shocking the person (or being shocked) that you can delete the whole article on dogs if you so choose. That sort of scepticism seems to stay with users.


I think this article must have been written sometime ago. for one thing Google Maps is now a heavily used system.

If you rely upon advertising your not web2.0 - like university's?

Back to hype cycles - for sometime I was sceptical of blogging. There were articles in newspapers suggesting the Blogosphere was to collapse. But somehow, I don't know when, blogging seems a lot stronger to me now. I guess I check them out just as part of my Google searches to find usually the most useful dynamic up to date information (along with bulletin boards). I like the way this article describes the media not taking on just one blogger but the whole blogospehere.

I was interested to hear in class one of the other students from China who used a diary until highschool and then moved to a blog since ~2008, and now uses a microblog. She uses a blog because she can share her experiences with her friends (presumably now worldwide). I wonder if the move from a private diary to a blog, was a conscious one. Presumably a diary is only readable by your self. Will writing to an audience kill off the form of a diary?

3 comments:

  1. Wow Will you are really good at this subject..computers, Internet, BB...I have never used a blog before, the only contact that I'd had with blogs was with my sister, she has a blog where she writes about her life and she also writes poems and nice things. So, let's see if I can write something nice and interesting on my blog! :oP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another very interesting post. Can I ask *you* how you feel about diaries versus blogs? Does this blog motivate you any more or less than did the Reflective Learning Journal in the Communication in Education course?

    Can I also ask you to say a bit more about the links between web-monetisation and the evolution of Web 2.0? This could be interesting to explore further...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably would say I am more motivated to use a blog than the reflective journal. There doesn't seem to be any expectation of what format the posts should take. So they could be reflections on stuff that I come into contact with such as the reading lists shared on the main wiki. Or they could be a log of little things I try out - like that Yahoo Pipes post. They could be written for the benefit of others or for myself. In that way I find it easier than writing the reflective journal.

    On the link between monitisation of the internet helping to try out ideas of web 2.0. I was referring to the Text by O'Reilly in particular the ad-serving company Doubleclick. From what I read into the text (and it might be wrong) this company (now actually just part of Google) doesn't make the adverts, it just provides the medium for other agencies to direct their ads at people. I believe that this company perfected the ways to build up a profile of a web user (perhaps through Cookies that type of thing), and in so doing can then give targeted ads on webpages that the user subsequently visits. It's the harvesting of data and the way it is then put to use that I think defines it as Web2.0. A personalised experience.

    ReplyDelete