Tuesday 1 March 2011

A Joined-up campus

An interesting blog post by a student at the University of Lincoln, explains his hope of having just the one system that would do it all (one username/password, one place). It turns out that actually it's all done through a portal with many different 'areas' each with a different personality (room booking, calender, Blackboard, Exchange, Pebblepad). He goes onto explain how he hates all of the different file formats that are used. I guess for us techies that last one is easy for us to know but what about a beginner?

http://nickjackson.blogs.lincoln.ac.uk/2009/a-joined-up-campus/

I used to work at that uni and we made use of a VLE called Virtual Campas, which I think was homegrown in Hull where I worked, and it was quite interesting, but I only remember using it for pushing materials, but even then it was quite useful at being able to present materials to the students I needed to. I think they've now got Blackboard in.

No comments:

Post a Comment